Monday, August 15, 2011

The Relactation Project

I call this blog The Relactation Project. It will serve as a historian to the days, weeks and probably months of trying to induce (re)lacation. You could call it an experiment.

A little back story.. I have two children and exclusively pumped for both of them. As an overproducer, I pumped at most 60 ounces a day. I have been milk-free for around seven months now. During my pumping months, I was able to enjoy the benefits of a smaller waisteline and a huge appetite. It was a win-win situation, right?

Of course, in the months since I weaned, the weight has returned. And well, it sucks. I've made jokes about using my weight loss machine again - the breast pump. And then I started to think "well, why not?" I could donate milk again. It is a selfish motive on my part, but somebody else could benefit from it, as well.

And so I brought the idea up to my closest friends, thinking that someone would surely tell me this is a ridiculous idea. Nope, not the case. They were encouraging. I think they are curious to see how it works out. My husband laughed and said it wasn't possible. I explained that even adopting moms can lactate without ever having done so. That made me want to prove to him that it is possible. I decided to just go for it.

The pros:
* Weight loss
* Being able to eat whatever I want (well, healthy stuff), whenever I want and however much I want
* No pressure. My child is not depending on me to keep up a supply to sustain her life.
* Bigger boobs (who doesn't want that?)
* My cycle could possibly stop for a short period of time.
* Breast feeding reduces the risk for breast cancer.

The cons:
* Engorgement
* Sore nipples
* Hormones 

So, here is how the process will go. I have started back on prenatal vitamins again, as well as chewable Vitamin C. Lots more drinking of water has been added to my day.

I've thought about trying supplements, but still haven't decided on that. I've read Fenugreek can lower blood sugar. I have reactive hypoglycemia, so I really am not interested in dealing with low(er) blood sugar. Pumping will already cause me to use more energy/calories than normal, which I will spend all day replenishing.

I will probably start with pumping first to see what kind of results that yields. If need be (or if supplements are just thrown into my lap at no cost LOL), I may try supplements.

Since it's been 7-8 months since I weaned, I am curious to see how it will go. Keeping a supply has never been a problem for me. So it will be interesting to see if relactating comes easy or if it will be work. I will put an honest effort into making it work, but I won't stress about how much milk is pumped each day.

3 comments:

  1. I know that this post is old. Just curious to know how it went? I have a 10 week old. Only breastfed her 2 weeks. Want to start again very bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that this post is old. Just curious to know how it went? I have a 10 week old. Only breastfed her 2 weeks. Want to start again very bad

    ReplyDelete